Re: Combining macron on Mac

From: tom@bluesky.org
Date: Wed Jan 10 2001 - 20:28:08 EST

>How do users input or get a Latin letter (usually a vowel) with a macron
>(-) over it on Macintosh, e.g. to represent a long vowel in Japanese. I
>have not been able to find any dead key combination for this on Mac OS
>8.6. Maybe there is an improvement on this for Mac OS 9?
>
>If this is not possible by conventional means, what are alternatives?

My impression is that there is no easy way, even with OS9. One solution is
to use one of the Mac Central European fonts and select the macron
characters using the utility called PopChar. The document then has to be
read using this font, of course. Also I think Nisus Writer has a special
way to create macron vowels, but then it's only good for this program.

PopChar is at:

http://www.unisoft.co.at/

Maybe there is an improvement for OS X?