Re: Unicode, Korean, Windows ME, and Tired Eyes

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Sat Jan 13 2001 - 06:43:17 EST

Hello Syd,

6:30am in Atlanta on a Saturday, but I am stuck here for a few hours so I'll
take a swing at it. :-)

I'll answer one question and correct a previous answer you were given:

THE ANSWER: The only version of Windows ME that can comfortably read and
write Korean is the Korean version. HOWEVER, if you are willing to limit
yourself to a few programs (Word 2000, IE 5.5, NN 6.0, Outlook Express 5.5,
etc.) then you can download the Global IME from Microsoft and you can
read/write Korean in just those programs using that IME and the one font it
provides.

THE CORRECTION: Whoever gave you the answer about Windows 2000 was wrong.
EVERY language version of Windows 2000 can handle reading and writing in any
language supported -- you do not require just the English version or just
the Korean version or any one specific lang. -- just install the Korean IME
and start typing in any Unicode app you run! If you change the default
system locale to Korean you can even run non-Unicode Korean apps on any
other version of Windows 2000.

MichKa

Michael Kaplan
Trigeminal Software, Inc.