Re: Transcriptions of "Unicode"

From: John Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Mon Jan 15 2001 - 11:06:09 EST

On Monday, January 15, 2001, at 06:34 AM, Michael Everson wrote:

> The pronuncuation ['juni:ko:d] with [i:] or [i] instead of schwa
> irritates
> me a lot. No one would pronounce "universe" with an [i].

Then forgive me, Michael, for I have sinned. I just sent in to Mark a
Deseret Alphabet transcription that uses [i]. In my defense, I tend to
find short, unstressesd vowels hard to tell apart in many English
words. I really don't know what vowel I use in "universe." And the DA
doesn't have a true schwa symbol, anyway.