Re: Transcriptions of "Unicode"

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Mon Jan 15 2001 - 17:30:32 EST

On 01/15/2001 04:25:00 AM Michael Everson wrote:

>The pronuncuation ['juni:ko:d] with [i:] or [i] instead of schwa irritates
>me a lot. No one would pronounce "universe" with an [i].

Well, note that it was transcribed not with [i:] but with the open
counterpart (IPA symbol 319 rather than 301). That's certainly plausible,
perhaps in certain dialects or in careful speech. I have heard some
actually say [i] (not [i:]) but as I remember they were not native English
speakers (i.e. they had the phonology of another language influencing their
pronunciation when speaking English). I agree with Michael that schwa is a
probably lot more likely for most speakers, though.

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485
E-mail: <peter_constable@sil.org>