Re: An unexpected sight...

From: Michael Everson (everson@egt.ie)
Date: Wed Jan 17 2001 - 06:06:37 EST

Ar 01:22 -0800 2001-01-17, scríobh Erland Sommarskog:
>Michael Everson <everson@egt.ie> writes:
>> It is common enough. It is more common in Sweden than it is in Germany.
>
>I can't compare with Germany, but I wouldn't say that it's common.
>I could think of it as a gimmick ...

Common enough in display fonts, I should have said. You'd find it on
"artistic" signage, book covers, and so on. In such contexts the diaeresis
is often inside the capital Ü as well.

>> It was more common in Germany, Sweden, and Estonia earlier this century than
>> it is today.
>
>You mean that were was a fad last year? I have to confess that I missed
>it.

OK, Michael gets to be scapegoat for being the first to gaffe this way on
the Unicode list.

ME