Re: Teletext mappings

From: Rob Hardy (rob@sneezes.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Sun Jan 21 2001 - 12:52:45 EST

From: Otto Stolz <Otto.Stolz@uni-konstanz.de>
> 0x40 0x0020 # SPACE ? blank, but not marked unused
> Probably U+00A0 NO-BREAK SPACE.

Hmmm.. I'm not sure. I don't think a no-break space would have any meaning
in this context, as the pages are transmitted fully formatted (although
perhaps a viewdata terminal would do something differently)

From: Herman Ranes <herman@iet.hist.no>
> [Polish set] contains the line
> 0x5B 0x01B5 # LATIN CAPITAL LETTER Z WITH STROKE
> should supposedly be
> 0x5B 0x017B # LATIN CAPITAL LETTER Z WITH DOT ABOVE

My teletext spec definitely has a Z with a stroke. Which set are you using?
It could be the teletext spec has a variation of the one you're using.

Anyhow, thanks to Herman, Otto, Marco Cimarosti and James Kass for their
suggestions; I've incorporated changes and uploaded new charts. I've also
changed some of the forms in the Arabic sets, although, as James says, it's
tricky to tell from the low res bitmaps. I've kept the old versions of the
Arabic sets so they can be easily compared. There is only one character
left I'm flummoxed on.

So if anyone is still willing to take a look and comment on any ambiguous
characters, I'd be grateful :)

http://www.sneezes.freeserve.co.uk/teletext/tech/ has links to the charts.

Two other points: the 2317 glyph looks like a hash rather than a viewdata
square, and it's cross-referenced to equal and parallel to. I'm using the
viewdata square in my tables although in the teletext spec it resembles a
black square. Does anyone know where the Unicode 2317 originated?

Secondly, the viewdata and videotex terms are both seemingly used at random
in Unicode (and I prefer teletext). Do you think there's any advantage in
deciding to use one or the other and not mix them up?

Regards,
Rob.