RE: Chemistry in chinesse (Only in chinesse?)

From: Marco Cimarosti (marco.cimarosti@essetre.it)
Date: Fri Jan 26 2001 - 04:31:32 EST

Erik Garrés wrote:
> Now that thanks to Pierpaolo BERNARDI who found a book (...)
> (dictionary) where shows what I was mentioning,

MOST Chinese dictionaries that I have seen bear a table of chemical elements
at the end. Perhaps you would have found out earlier going in a public
library.

> here we have to answer another question, Does it happens
> only on Chinesse, or it happens on all languages where use
> strokes (Tamil, Japannes, etc.), Cyrillic alphabet (like
> Russian), Greek alphabet, all non-latin alphabet based
> languages ?

First of all: what the hell are "strokes" ("trazos")?
If you mean "ideographs", then please notice that they are used in Japanese
but NOT in Tamil. Tamil is written with an ALPHABET.

Moreover, you keep on confusing the NAMES of chemical elements with their
SYMBOLS. This confusion already has caused some misunderstanding in this
discussion.

*** SYMBOLS of chemical elements: ***
they are formed by a capital LATIN letter, possibly followed by a LATIN
small letter.
As far as I know, these symbols are INTERNATIONAL and are the SAME in ANY
language.
In the context of Unicode and character sets, these symbols do not need any
special code point because the ORDINARY Latin letters are sufficient to
write them.

*** NAMES of chemical elements: ***
they are different in each language. E.g., the same element which is called
"oxygen" in English is called "oxygène" in French, "oxígeno" in Spanish,
"ossigeno" in Italian, "Sauerstoff" in German, etc.
In languages that are written with alphabets other than Latin, these names
would be written in that alphabet, of course. The Chinese language is
written with ideographs (better called "logographs"), so Chinese chemists
invented a set of ideographs the NAMES of elements.

I hope this helps.

_ Marco