Re: ConScript registry?

From: Michael Everson (everson@egt.ie)
Date: Wed Jan 31 2001 - 07:06:10 EST

Ar 12:19 -0800 2001-01-30, scríobh David Starner:

>The ConScript registry (http://www.egt.ie/standards/csur/index.html) is a
>place where constructed/artifical scripts can be registered in a way
>that they can be publicially transfered (among those who recognize the
>encoding, of course.)

"By agreement between sender and receiver" is the usual jargon.

>It also is a 'proof' that there won't be a huge surge of constructed
>characters in Unicode if you let Klingon or Tengwar in.

Is it?

>There is roughly
>2000 characters encoded in the BMP Private-Use area, with another 6,000
>in Plane 16. Even accepting them all, that would fit easily in the space
>that hasn't even been tenatively allocated in Plane 1's roadmap.

Oh, I see what you're saying. ConScript handles some 40 scripts -- even if
they were **all** accepted into the SMP it wouldn't make that much
difference. Not that we're thinking of that.

>Cowan and Everson have not been very picky about which scripts they
>included in the ConScript registry.

Well, we tried to make sure the proposals were of quality. We preferred it
a lot if fonts were available for the user.

>Of those in the registry, I would guess only 8 (Tengwar, Cirth,
>Engsvanyali, Shavian, Solresol, Visible Speech, Aiha, and Klingon) have any
>claim to be added to Unicode. 78 columns, less than 624 characters to be
>added.

These would appear to be in use by actual communities of some size. (Some
of the other ConScripts appear to be in use only by their creators.)

Michael Everson ** Everson Gunn Teoranta ** http://www.egt.ie
Mob +353 86 807 9169 ** Fax +353 1 478 2597 ** Vox +353 1 478 2597