Re: ConScript registry?

From: Michael Everson (
Date: Wed Jan 31 2001 - 07:06:10 EST

Ar 12:19 -0800 2001-01-30, scríobh David Starner:

>The ConScript registry ( is a
>place where constructed/artifical scripts can be registered in a way
>that they can be publicially transfered (among those who recognize the
>encoding, of course.)

"By agreement between sender and receiver" is the usual jargon.

>It also is a 'proof' that there won't be a huge surge of constructed
>characters in Unicode if you let Klingon or Tengwar in.

Is it?

>There is roughly
>2000 characters encoded in the BMP Private-Use area, with another 6,000
>in Plane 16. Even accepting them all, that would fit easily in the space
>that hasn't even been tenatively allocated in Plane 1's roadmap.

Oh, I see what you're saying. ConScript handles some 40 scripts -- even if
they were **all** accepted into the SMP it wouldn't make that much
difference. Not that we're thinking of that.

>Cowan and Everson have not been very picky about which scripts they
>included in the ConScript registry.

Well, we tried to make sure the proposals were of quality. We preferred it
a lot if fonts were available for the user.

>Of those in the registry, I would guess only 8 (Tengwar, Cirth,
>Engsvanyali, Shavian, Solresol, Visible Speech, Aiha, and Klingon) have any
>claim to be added to Unicode. 78 columns, less than 624 characters to be

These would appear to be in use by actual communities of some size. (Some
of the other ConScripts appear to be in use only by their creators.)

Michael Everson ** Everson Gunn Teoranta **
Mob +353 86 807 9169 ** Fax +353 1 478 2597 ** Vox +353 1 478 2597