Re: Property error for U+2118?

From: David Starner (dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org)
Date: Thu Feb 01 2001 - 14:26:29 EST

On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 10:14:04AM -0800, Mark Davis wrote:
> If you had made almost any reasonable attempt whatsoever you would have
> found this. To find out about a character you first look in the charts and
> block descriptions. In this particular case, there is an annotation in both
> places:
>
> Code charts:
> http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U2100.pdf
>
> "2118 .SCRIPT CAPITAL P
> = Weierstrass elliptic function
> . actually this has the form of a lowercase
> calligraphic p, despite its name"

This has a lot different emphasis from what I get on the list. "="
means "alternate name", according to the standard; that is, among other
things it can be used for, it can be used for this elliptic function.
Looking at the standard, I'd name it CALLIGRAPHIC LOWER P. Listening to
the list, I'd name it WEIERSTRASS ELLIPTIC FUNCTION, since it "was always
intended to be the Weierstrass elliptic function", and not stand for
anything else.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org