re: Unicode Transcriptions

From: Marco Cimarosti (marco.cimarosti@essetre.it)
Date: Fri Feb 16 2001 - 04:38:38 EST

Hi Mark.

You wrote:
> I am still missing Bopomofo,
> [...]
> Also, Ken suggested that the Bopomofo should be a Bopomofo transcription
of
> the Chinese for Unicode, not a transliteration from English. Can anyone
> supply that?

Once you accept Ken's suggestion, you have two more decisions to make:

1) Which Chinese name to use (you have two on your page);

2) Which Chinese dialect to adopt for transliterating.

Assuming that (1) you want to use the 3-syllable name ("統一碼", which is also
used in ) and that (2) you want the official Putonghua (Mandarin)
pronunciation, here is what it would be:

Chinese: 統一碼
Pinyin: tŏngyīmă
Bopomofo: ㄊㄨㄥ̆ ㄧ ㄇㄚ̆
Unicodes: 310A 3128 3125 0306 0020 3127 0020 3107 311A 0306

Notice the particularities of Bopomofo spelling:

- the sound [uŋ] ("ong" in pinyin) is spelled "u-eng";
- there is no "y" in "yi";
- there is no sign to indicate the 1st tone.

Also notice that you may have a few typographical problems in producing the
picture:

a) In most fonts, the glyph for vowel i is a horizontal line. This is only
valid for vertical texts: in horizontal spelling it should be vertical.
(Suggestion: you may substitute it with an uppercase I from a sans-serif
font).

b) The glyph for the "combining breve" (3rd tone) is normally designed to
fit on western lowercase vowels. (suggestion: if you may a bigger size for
the combining marks, you might get the good result).

Ciao.
Marco