Re: Perception that Unicode is 16-bit (was: Re: Surrogate space in Unicode)

From: David Starner (dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org)
Date: Mon Feb 19 2001 - 21:26:51 EST

On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 05:42:41PM -0800, DougEwell2@cs.com wrote:
> A few days ago I said there was a "widespread belief" that Unicode is a
> 16-bit-only character set that ends at U+FFFF. A corollary is that the
> supplementary characters ranging from U+10000 to U+10FFFF are either
> little-known or perceived to belong to ISO/IEC 10646 only, not to Unicode.
>
> At least one list member questioned whether this belief was really widespread.

Or, for another example, from the Berlin (GUI project) news
(http://www.berlin-consortium.org/news.html#2001-01-10):

With the Unicode-related functions in Prague growing out of size, I moved them
into a new library called 'Babylon'. It will provide all the functionality
defined in the Unicode standard (it is not Unicode but ISO 10646 compliant as
it uses 32bit wide characters internally) and is written in C++.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
"I don't care if Bill personally has my name and reads my email and