Re: Sanskrit Transliteration Characters

From: Otto Stolz (Otto.Stolz@uni-konstanz.de)
Date: Tue Feb 20 2001 - 07:32:01 EST

Am 2001-02-20 um 9:18 UCT hat Valeriy E. Ushakov geschrieben:
> That's why I made and posted CSX mapping. There are a LOT of old
> CSX-encoded material. With this mapping I can use existing software
> (like the mentioned perl module) to convert it to Unicode and use
> emacs to view/edit it.

This implicetly answers the original question from Krishna Desikachary:
> Does a Unicode standard exist for these characters?

It could be helpful to have your mapping (or a link to it) in the
Unicode.org WWW pages, cf.
<http://www.unicode.org/unicode/faq/mappings/mappings.html>.

Valeriy E. Ushakov also wrote:
> So I don't think it's fair to blame Indologists for shunning Unicode ;-).

It was not my intention to blame anybody for anything. I apologize
if I could have been understood so.

These days, I have seen a debate in a newsgroup on classical languages,
started by a poster saying: "I want a standard for polytonic Greek, at
last!". Apparently, this poster (and many other contributers) had never
heard of Unicode. It turned out that there are by far too many ways to
encode ancient Greek; almost everybody seems to have invented a pro-
prietary 8-bit encoding. I heartily wish that Indologists do better
than that.

Best wishes,
  Otto Stolz