Re: Perception that Unicode is 16-bit (was: Re: Surrogate space in

From: Antoine Leca (Antoine.Leca@renault.fr)
Date: Tue Feb 20 2001 - 12:27:24 EST

Doug Ewell wrote:

> In a message dated 2001-02-20 04:21:49 Pacific Standard Time,

Funilly, the message I got is stamped 03:36:27 PST...

> KNAPPEN@ALPHA.NTP.SPRINGER.DE writes:
>
> > A nit to pick: It's the latin alphabet, not roman. Roman is a kind of
> > typeface, contrasting to sans serif aka grotesque.
>
> True. I have also heard "roman" used to mean the opposite of italic.

Perhaps a direct traduction from the French "romain" which means just that.

(In French, sans serif is normally named "antique", while serif have a number
of names, one of which being "romain", particularly in "Le Romain du Roy",
name of the type designed during the XVIIth c. for the king).

Antoine