Re: Implementing Complex Unicode Scripts

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Tue Feb 20 2001 - 13:16:14 EST

At 09:17 AM 2/20/2001 -0800, Charlie Jolly wrote:

>As for AAT, could Apple not supply template fonts so that font designers can
>concentrate on the glyphs. I.e. replace master glyphs with their own.

The folk at Apple are certainly aware that they have a problem with AAT's
current level of 'technology uptake', and they have a fairly clear idea
what needs to be done to improve things. Templates, sample tables and
hackable MIFs (morph input files, the current mechanism for adding layout
features to AAT fonts) would all be very useful. The largest missing
element is what SIL have with their GDL: a higher level description
language that would enable font developers to operate above the state table
level. As I say, the Apple font team are aware of all this, but I don't
know how high a priority they can put on this internally (at the moment,
they're trying to ship an OS, so building new font tools probably isn't
something we can expect them to be doing this week).

John Hudson

Tiro Typeworks |
Vancouver, BC | All empty souls tend to extreme opinion.
www.tiro.com | W.B. Yeats
tiro@tiro.com |