Re: An Aburdly Brief Introduction to Unicode (was Re: Perception ...)

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Fri Feb 23 2001 - 15:15:31 EST

On 02/23/2001 01:28:07 PM Kenneth Whistler wrote:

>> - one abstract character can correspond to two different code points
>
>{a with ring above} ==> U+00C5 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER WITH RING ABOVE
> ==> U+212B ANGSTROM SIGN (singleton canonical
equivalence
> to U+00C5)

{a with ring above} is not an abstract character according to the
definition used in the standard. It may be a grapheme in one or more
writing system; it may be any number of objects, but it is not an abstract
character in the Unicode repertoire. LATIN CAPITAL LETTER WITH RING ABOVE
and ANGSTROM SIGN are abstract characters, and are different. They happen
to be canonically equivalent, but that is beside the point and does not
mean that they are not different abstract characters.

Likewise for the other examples.

This seems so obvious to me, and I'm very surprised to here this coming
from no less than Messrs. Davis and Whistler. It must mean I'm missing
something, but I'm sure I'm not. What's in the water these days out in the
Bay area?

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485
E-mail: <peter_constable@sil.org>