Re: Perception that Unicode is 16-bit (was: Re: Surrogate space i

From: Kenneth Whistler (
Date: Mon Feb 26 2001 - 23:51:01 EST

Doug Ewell asked, on this hopelessly wandering thread:

> (Is
> there an English-language term for the subset of the CJK ideographic script
> that is used by a given language, say, Japanese?)

Well, since "kanji" by now has been borrowed into English, at least among
a rather large class of specialists who are at least somewhat knowledgeable about
Japanese, I would say that the relevant English-language phrase to cover
this is "the Japanese kanji". I know, not a good, core English word like
"alphabet" or "syllabary" or "abjad", is it. But wait. Hmmm. alpha, beta, gamma...
syllaba, syllabae, syllabarum ... syllabé, syllabídzo ...

*wanders off muttering to himself*


This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.2 : Tue Jul 10 2001 - 17:21:19 EDT