RE: What about musical notation?

From: Edward Cherlin (edward.cherlin.sy.67@aya.yale.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 28 2001 - 03:44:52 EST

About 25 years ago, I and several friends set some music in our
church publications (newsletters and handouts for the congregation)
using transfer symbols and photocopying. The process is definitely
not suitable for serious publication.

I saw a 19th century American music book set from movable type in the
Newark, NJ public library about 35 years ago. Naturally I have no
idea of the title or publisher now. :(

In addition to its inflexibility, movable type is not well suited to
music because it is difficult to get lines to join smoothly.

At 8:26 AM -0800 2/22/01, Figge, Donald wrote:
>About thirty years ago, I was involved in the production of a song book. At
>that time, the notes were engraved directly onto copper plates by artisans
>who specialized in music engraving. Repro proofs were made from the plates,
>and then the words were pasted onto the proofs.
>
>Don
>//

Edward Cherlin Generalist "A knot!" exclaimed Alice. "Oh, do let me help to undo it." Alice in Wonderland