Re: CJKV ideographic, was Re: Perception that Unicode is 16-bit

From: John Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Wed Feb 28 2001 - 11:31:18 EST

On Wednesday, February 28, 2001, at 01:54 AM, akerbeltz.alba wrote:

> So apart from dictionaries you find romanization (a myriad of
> varieties) for
> the transcription of names and shops, place names ... and that's about
> it I
> would think. I believe 'status' comes into this a lot - educated people
> "know how to write" ...

Most place names in Hong Kong seem to be modified versions of
Wade-Giles, which I (having learned Yale first) tend to find almost
incomprehensible. Still, it was always fun to hear British news readers
talk about what had just happened in, say, Sham Shui Po.

=====
John H. Jenkins
jenkins@apple.com
jenkins@mac.com