Re: Latin digraph characters

From: William Overington (WOverington@ngo.globalnet.co.uk)
Date: Wed Feb 28 2001 - 13:01:15 EST

>Germans transliterate a single cyrillic letter with TSCH, shouldn't
>Unicode have also this tetragraph encoded? (ducking...)

Is this the Cyrillic letter that is transliterated into English as CH
pronounced as CH in church?

There are in mathematics some polynomials called Chebyshev polynomials after
a mathematician whose name was written in Cyrillic characters. I think that
he was Russian, but I am not congruently certain of that.

I remember seeing once that his name is sometimes expressed in roman
characters as Chebyshev and sometimes in another way that I do not precisely
remember and will not guess at but it began with the letter T.

It is an interesting circumstance that Chebyshev polynomials are represented
as

y = T0(x)
y = T1(x)
y = T2(x)
y = T3(x)
and so on for all non-negative integers, where the number following the
letter T should be written as a subscript and are not done so here because
of the limitations of this email format.

Perhaps there is some interesting footnote to this circumstance and that
maybe the T refers to the mathematician's surname and that for some
peculiarity of history of different routes being used at different times his
surname was transliterated by one method for defining the functions and by
another method for stating his name.

Does anyone know whether there is any evidence of that being the case?

William Overington