Re: Latin digraph characters

From: Pierpaolo BERNARDI (bernardp@cli.di.unipi.it)
Date: Wed Feb 28 2001 - 16:45:55 EST

On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, Antoine Leca wrote:
> William Overington wrote:

> > >Germans transliterate a single cyrillic letter with TSCH, shouldn't
> > >Unicode have also this tetragraph encoded? (ducking...)
> >
> > Is this the Cyrillic letter that is transliterated into English as CH
> > pronounced as CH in church?
>
> Yes.
> > I remember seeing once that his name is sometimes expressed in roman
> > characters as Chebyshev and sometimes in another way that I do not precisely
> > remember and will not guess at but it began with the letter T.

The initial character of the name is transliterated as CH in English, TCH
in French, TSCH in German, C or CI in Italian, C WITH CARON in the
official Russian transliteration. It's the same character as the first one
in Chajkovskij, Chekhov...

> Perhaps "Tchébicheff", i.e. the French way. It happens that the international
> way to spell Russian names is to use the French way of translating. This is
> important for passports, for example.

The Russian passports that I have seen (ok, only two) used the official
transliteration, which is different from the French one. The French
transliteration was popular once, as French was widely known between
high-class Russians.

In material printed nowadays in Russia I have always seen used the
official transliteration, when needed.

__
||oka,
  Pierpaolo