Re: UTF-8, C1 controls, and UNIX

From: David Starner (dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org)
Date: Thu Mar 01 2001 - 15:10:08 EST

On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 11:00:45AM -0800, Frank da Cruz wrote:
> it contains no NULs (because of C). The C1 problem was overlooked because
> nobody really considered it. And non-UNIX platforms use lots of characters
> besides "/" in pathname syntax, so even leaving aside the C1 issue, we'd
> need another UTF for VMS, another for VOS, another DOS and Windows, and so
> on.

Not true; UTF-8 treats all ASCII characters the same. So unless one of those
operating systems uses a character above 0x7F in pathname syntax, then
everythings all right.

(BTW, for the person that asked: Plan-9 is not a true Unix, but it does
show heavy Unix ancestory.)

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
"I don't care if Bill personally has my name and reads my email and