Re: UTF-8, C1 controls, and UNIX

From: Paul Keinanen (keinanen@sci.fi)
Date: Thu Mar 01 2001 - 20:50:04 EST

On Thu, 1 Mar 2001 11:00:45 -0800 (GMT-0800), Frank da Cruz
<fdc@columbia.edu> wrote:

This information may be a bit outdated, since it is more than a decade
since I worked daily with VMS.

>VMS is an example of a platform that really, really takes advantage of
>ISO standards.

Or the other way around, since ISO-8859-1 came after DEC-MCS.

>When you log in to VMS, it sends an escape sequence to
>query the terminal.

This only happens if you have the set terminal/inquire command in the
sylogin.com or login.com command files. With non-VT100/200/300 series
compatible terminals connected to a host, it is better to leave out
this command at least from sylogin.com, since the sequence might cause
havoc with these terminals.

>If the response indicates C1 capability, the host
>sends an escape sequence commanding the terminal into C1 mode. This is
>how it has worked for nearly 20 years.

If I remember correctly, there is a command like
set terminal/noeightbitcontrols
that at least prevents sending out C1 controls, but I do not remember,
what it does to input characters in the C1 range.

Paul