Re: Albanian alphabet

From: J%ORG KNAPPEN (KNAPPEN@ALPHA.NTP.SPRINGER.DE)
Date: Thu Mar 08 2001 - 04:16:16 EST

The Alphabet of Elbasan is reproduced in typical alphabet colletions
like

Carl Faulmann: Das Buch der Schrift 18??, many recent reprints
Hans Jenssen: Die Schrift, Akademie-Verlag Berlin 1969
Harald Haarmann: Universalgeschichte der Schrift, Campus, Frankfurt/Main 199?

In one of the latter two references, (having them not on my desktop I can't
tell which, but I think it is Haarmann) is a longer discussion on the evolution
of the albanic alphabet. Acording to that reference, the Elbasan alphabet
derives from contemporary handwritten greek. The reference shows also really
fancy latin alphabet used in the first two decades of the 20th century
with greek and cyrillic derived letters augmenting the standard latin
alphabet. Probably not all of those are yet encoded in UNicode/ISO 10646.

--J"org Knappen