Rendering Unicode on the Mac

From: Lars Marius Garshol (larsga@garshol.priv.no)
Date: Fri Mar 16 2001 - 09:55:07 EST

I'm trying to help a developer who is trying to render Unicode text on
the Mac, using ATSUI. His problem is that the rendering should happen
progressively as parts of the document become available, but ATSUI
seems to assume that the entire document should be available before
rendering starts.

His solution has been to make a 'Unicode session' for every little
piece of text that is to be rendered, but that solution has led to
unacceptable performance, since opening and closing 'Unicode sessions'
is not a light-weight operation.

Is there anyone here who has run into this problem before and can
suggest possible ways to approach it? We could accumulate more text
before rendering, but that would hurt progressive display, and doesn't
sound like a very good solution.

--Lars M.