RE: Word and Version 3.1 characters

From: Chris Pratley (chrispr@microsoft.com)
Date: Mon Apr 02 2001 - 07:20:23 EDT

Word2000 (designed in 1997-98) was not designed to handle surrogate
pairs. The two surrogates combine to display correctly when running
under Win2000, but Word2000 believes there are two characters there, so
it advances two character widths. I believe we may have tweaked the
spacing in the SR1 or SP2 release of Office2000. If you have that and
are still seeing the problem, then the problem did not get fixed. If you
have just the initial release version, try installing SR1.

Word2002 (from OfficeXP) handles surrogates correctly. Word2002 also
handles Alt-x directly in the document.

Chris Pratley
Group Program Manager
Microsoft Word