RE: Iranian Rial sign proposal

From: Roozbeh Pournader (roozbeh@sharif.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 04 2001 - 12:34:51 EDT

On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Carl W. Brown wrote:

> >It doesn't have any international use, because it may be mistaken
> >by Saudi Arabic Rials or things like that.

Oh sorry. It seems that I used the wrong phrase. By international use I
meant using it in LTR contexts, after Latin numbers, etc. I was telling
that it won't be used like New Sheqel. Look at the context again...

> I think that we should look into if other countries use a different form of
> Rial as you do. Then we can make an informed decision. It may be that
> yours is a unique case or it may be that other countries to the same or
> similar things. If they do, then it may be best to include their input as
> well.

You're right. The reason for putting the proposal public is asking for
their input also.

BTW, after looking at ISO 4217 list of currencies, I found that Rial is
also used as a currency in Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and Yemen. Would anyone
with access to people there ask for their input? (If they have it in a
character set, if they have it on keyboards, if they use another
visual form sometimes, etc.)

> I am sure that if you have a problem fitting Rials on to a price tag that
> the problem is not unique to Iran.

The problem is not the price tags. Our Price tags are using Tomans these
days, and I'm sure people should not ask for something in Unicode when
they have problems with price tags. The problem is existance of the
character in the national character set and on the national keyboard.

--roozbeh