Re: Unihan errors

From: John Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Wed Apr 04 2001 - 23:09:43 EDT

On Wednesday, April 4, 2001, at 08:26 PM, Edward Cherlin wrote:

> I have begun using the Unihan tables much more extensively recently. It
> troubles me that I keep stumbling over obvious errors and omissions in
> the tables, including errors carried over from version 2 to version 3.
> Can anyone tell me why U+4E00 has neither pronunciation nor definition
> given? or why Mathew's is consistently misspelled Matthew's? I don't
> have a list of errors to submit, but I will probably have to compile
> one in self-defense.

The 3.1 version of the file contains a definition and pronunciation for
U+4E00. Numerous errors in the definition field have also been fixed in
general. As for Matthew instead of Mathew, that's a simple typo which
we may not be able to fix, although it can be noted in the header.

Remember that the Unihan database is maintained entirely by volunteer
effort. There isn't a staff hired to continually groom the data.
Mistakes stand simply because nobody points them out, even silly and
obvious mistakes. All of the corrections in the data in the 3.1 version
of the file stem from a report submitted to errata@unicode.org.

We have improved the process for fixing errors, and we anticipate a new
release of the file in the next few months to accommodate new data. If
you have any corrections, send them in now and we'll try to see them
included.

=====
John H. Jenkins
jenkins@apple.com