Re: Unicode savvy concordance software?

From: Otto Stolz (Otto.Stolz@uni-konstanz.de)
Date: Tue Apr 10 2001 - 17:20:43 EDT

Am 2001-04-06 um 7:50 h UCT hat Richard Kunst geschrieben:
> Perhaps you could post to the list a brief summary in English of
> the extent to which TUSTEP does support Unicode.

Am 2001-04-07 um 9:22 h UCT hat Janusz S. Bien' geschrieben:
> Do you mean TUSTEP supports UNICODE?

Since October 1999, TUSTEP has been able to import and export texts
in both UCS-2 and UTF-8, as per
<http://www.uni-tuebingen.de/zdv/bi/bi99/bi997l1-unicode.html>.
This is the same import-export feature used for other encodings.

So you could either type a Unicode text using your system's input
methods and then import it to TUSTEP, or you could type your text
in the TUSTEP editor using a particular Latin transliteration. You
could export your text from TUSTEP in either UCS-2 (to view it with,
e. g., Office 2000) or UTF-8 (to view it, e. g., with an up-to-date
WWW browser), or you could view it with the built-in TUSTEP viewer
(which internally uses Unicode, and Unicode fons). The cited WWW
page claims that TUSTEP acts as a high-quality rendering engine for
the scripts listed below.

Am 2001-04-06 um 7:50 h UCT hat Richard Kunst weiter geschrieben:
> There is no reference to the ability to use it to concord CJK texts,
> which is where Unicode concordancers really come into their own.

According to the above-mentioned WWW page, TUSTEP supports at
least the Latin, Greek, Cyrillic, Hebrew, Arab, Syriac, Coptic,
and Devanagari scripts, with combining diacritical marks. Another
WWW page also mentions IPA symbols. I could not find any hint on
CJK texts, though.

As said before, I am really not an expert on TUSTEP, not even a
regular user. I hope that somebody more knowledgable will step in
and elaborate on this question.

One problem is, of course, that most of the TUSTEP documentation is
in German. However, an English version of the manual plus supplements
is available online for printout or display, once you have managed to
install TUSTEP and found out how to issue commands against it...

Best wishes,
  Otto Stolz