Re: benefits of unicode

From: Tex Texin (texin@progress.com)
Date: Fri Apr 13 2001 - 18:04:01 EDT

The document we are discussing is:
http://www.geocities.com/i18nguy/UnicodeBenefits.html

John,

Right, I quite understand the point about Microsoft support, I was
resisting the focus solely on Microsoft though.

Let me try it another way, that perhaps will satisfy everyone.

Are there similar convictions from other (operating system) vendors
where I could demonstrate regional markets that will only be supported
by Unicode. (They can be different markets for each vendor.)

That way I can claim a benefit of Unicode being the only standard
supported for some markets by major vendors.

If I had some examples from IBM, Sun, HP, Unisys, etc. then
the benefit would not read like Microsoft is all that matters.

(I would also be glad to extend the benefit's examples
to more than just operating systems vendors, if there were other
major products to take this approach.)

The other concern about this is that I would like to see or get
a statement from Microsoft (and the other vendors) before I post it.
I don't want to be in the position of making such a claim without
getting it from a Microsoft (or other vendor) employee or document.

Frankly, being able to make such a claim would be the most important
benefit, because it will mean the end of supporting all these other
code pages. Currently, because the major vendors default to native
code pages instead of Unicode, it forces all the other vendors to have
their products default to
native, and we have this demand for more native code pages. It's time
for the default to be Unicode and then the native code page
demand goes away....

Finally, if it turns out to be only Microsoft that has this
policy, I am willing to add it to the benefits doc anyway.
I guess even if it makes the document seem partial, they would
deserve it for having done so.

tex

--
According to Murphy, nothing goes according to Hoyle.
Tex Texin                      Director, International Business