RE: How will software source code represent 21 bit unicode charac ters?

From: Yves Arrouye (yves@realnames.com)
Date: Tue Apr 17 2001 - 11:29:58 EDT

> > Has this matter already been addressed anywhere?
>
> I think the C standard is in the process of making a decision
> about this. If
> memory helps, we will have escapes like '\uXXXX' and '\UXXXXXXXX'.

I think they made the decision already. It is in the latest editions of the
standards. The only ambiguity (for me) is whether one can write:

        uint32_t codepoint = '\U0010000';

and have it work, or if there's some implicit assumption that '\U0010000' is
of type wchar_t, in which case the construction is not portable because of
the fact that the size of wchar_t is implementation-specific, and can be as
small as 8 bits. I am sure we have a C/C++ expert (or many!) here that can
clear that up though.

YA