Re: Latin w/ diacritics (was Re: benefits of unicode)

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Thu Apr 19 2001 - 02:44:30 EDT

> How on earth can 'ideographs' be synthesized from consonants and
> vowels? Moreover, when I wrote that 'CJK don't always go together', I
> wasn't talking about Chinese characters(ideographs) at all. I was talking
> about Korean Hangul only (I think it was pretty clear in the part of
> my message you didn't quote where I talked about Thai/Indic scripts
> and Hangul)

I think you kind of missed my point: although you are dealing with three
different scripts that have three different sets of issues, there are some
similarities at a high level. The thing that is similar here is that in each
case there are champions of the current system.

Although it may be useful to talk about font technologies that allow for
much smaller font sizes, I doubt that anyone believes that the 12.8 mb for
the Guilm ttc file (containing Gulim/GulimChe/Dotum/DotumChe) is made up
only of Hangul -- as opposed to Hanja. Heck, I doubt you could claim its
even mainly made up of Hangul. The fact is that there are folks who are
opposed to this type of issue and are very sensitive about attempts to
change things. Though of course if a font used such a method internally and
no one ever really knew, then I suppose no one would be unhappy, right?

A similar issue exists for Chinese where a different proposal often surfaces
to try to synthesize characters from the various strokes and radicals. This
also is met with opposition, and sometimes the arguments against such ideas
have no more merit than any other such case.

I guess I was trying to stress that this is no mere "myth to be dispelled in
the i18n community" but is a real issue in the minds of some (many?)
customers.

> Also, I have no clue why potentially drastic reduction
> (in principle/theory) of the font size for Korean by dynamic glyph
> shaping has anything to do with the round-trip of existing data to and
> from Unicode.

I think I kind of covered this above... if no one knows thats what is
happening in the font, then who will be the wiser? In fact I would hazard a
guess that there are indeed fonts out there today that do this. It does not
(of course( change the fact that some people are opposed to the idea, just
as there are some who are opposed to such "solutions" to large Chinese
fonts, etc.

michka