Re: Byte Order Marks

From: David Starner (dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org)
Date: Thu Apr 19 2001 - 22:48:05 EDT

On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 06:24:47PM -0700, Markus Scherer wrote:
> On the other hand, if you get a file from your platform and it is in 16-bit Unicode, then you would appreciate the convenience of the auto-endian alias.

But nothing should be spitting out platform-endian UTF-16! In the
case that there's a lot of unmarked big-endian UTF-16 around (as I
understand the ISO-10646 standard recommends), then that assumption
that everything emits unmaked platform-dependent UTF-16 will be
wrong. (It's never right to have a program emit
platform-dependent-endian UTF-16 except in the case of system-local
cache files. That breaks interoperating between your program on
different systems.)

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
"I don't care if Bill personally has my name and reads my email and