Re: On the possibility of guidance code points for the Private Use Area

From: Eric Muller (emuller@Adobe.COM)
Date: Tue Apr 24 2001 - 16:57:59 EDT

"Ayers, Mike" wrote:

> Currently, when sending email or
> interpreting HTML, the content is tagged for its encoding. Wouldn't PUA
> users simply use their own tag (say, PUA-mike-1) instead of UTF-8? Am I
> missing something?

What we are talking about is the character collection, not the encoding of that
collection. You really need two indicators, one which says what the semantics of
the character U+E000 is (as well as the other characters), the other which says
what byte sequence is used to encode this character (and the others).

In fact, even without PUA characters, the problem is already there. If my
document is Unicode 3.0, U+03F4 is an error, if it's Unicode 3.1, U+03F4 is
GREEK CAPITAL TETHA SYMBOL.

Eric.