Re: Using hex numbers considered a geek attitude

From: DougEwell2@cs.com
Date: Fri May 04 2001 - 00:02:22 EDT

In a message dated 2001-05-03 11:09:38 Pacific Daylight Time,
jameskass@worldnet.att.net writes:

> Special characters on PCs have been entered in this fashion
> since before Windows, and this might have been one of the
> reasons that decimal numbers were originally chosen for
> HTML notation -- users already had the decimal numbers
> of their commonly used special characters memorized.

Memorizing the 128 8-bit characters above ASCII is decimal was (relatively)
not too difficult. Even today, when typing á é í ó ú, I am likely to use
Alt+160, Alt+130, Alt+161, Alt+162, and Alt+163 repectively (as I just did).
Doing this with the whole BMP is quite another matter.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California