RE: Word, Asian characters, and Arial Unicode

From: Marco Cimarosti (marco.cimarosti@essetre.it)
Date: Mon May 07 2001 - 11:12:25 EDT

David Starner wrote:
> However, if I understand the property right, it's designed to
> be used in
> mono-/bi-width situations like terminal emulators, not in a
> proportional
> situation like Microsoft Word. The width of the character in
> Word should
> be dependent on the width of the glyph in the font used and
> the spacing
> on the line, not "East Asian Width".

Right. But, also in "proportional" fonts, CJK characters normally have a
fixed width, which is normally the same as the font height (i.e., CJK
characters are square).

My assumption (and I should have explained that it was just an assumption!)
is that designers of Unicode fonts probably refer to Unicode's "East Asian
Width" property to decide whether an obscure Unicode symbol or punctuation
sign should have this fixed width or not.

And applications that have special processing for CJK characters possibly
refer to the same source to decide whether a certain character should be
subject to this special processing or not.

_ Marco