RE: [OT] bits and bytes

From: Carl W. Brown (cbrown@xnetinc.com)
Date: Thu May 17 2001 - 19:51:30 EDT

Peter,

IBM defines a bytes as the least addressable amount of storage. However,
once we are talking about wide bytes usually the storage is addressed as
words even though the storage in the word can not be further sub-addressed.

This seems to have started with the IBM 360 series. For example the 360-50
physically fetches memory in words 32 bits but can address 8 bits (byte).
On the other hand this machine's microcode is in 90 bit words. It can not
be subaddressed but it is not referred to as bytes.

These 90 bit words (should be called bytes) are the largest that I have
actually worked with.

Carl