RE: Single Unicode Font

From: Marco Cimarosti (marco.cimarosti@essetre.it)
Date: Wed May 23 2001 - 07:00:33 EDT

David Starner wrote:
> In any case, some scripts just go together. Mathematicians and
> linguists frequently use Latin and Greek together (cf. IPA) in ways
> that require consistent font looks.

Perhaps the case of the four modern European scripts (Latin, Greek, Cyrillic
and Armenian) is quite special.

Although they are clearly separate writing systems, by the point of view of
a linguist, they may be considered as one and the same script by the point
of view of a typographer.

I mean that it is always possible (and desirable) to come up an uniform
style for the four scripts.

The reason for this similarity is to be sought in the history of early
typography. The first printed books in Latin roman and Greek scripts were
first produced in the "golden triangle" of humanist typography: France,
Italy and Netherland.

More or less at the same age, the first Armenian printed books were produced
by the Armenian community in Venice, adopting the same style as Manuzio's
types. I think that Cyrillic typography came at a later age, but Russian
typographers too wanted to follow the Western style, in order to emphasize
the link of Russia with European culture.

_ Marco