RE: Genesis v. UDHR?

From: Ayers, Mike (Mike_Ayers@bmc.com)
Date: Fri May 25 2001 - 14:07:38 EDT

> From: Herman Ranes [mailto:herman@iet.hist.no]

> Unfortunately, there are some errors in the UNHCRC 300
> language collection.

        Also not wanting to fan any fires, I wish to point out why I believe
the text from Genesis was chosen - most Bible translations (as far as I
know) are worked on (and reworked) by people who spend most or all of their
lives trying to faithfully transcribe the text, and fully learn the target
language. Thus it is likely that Bible text is the best translated text in
existence. I also suspect that the first three chapters of Genesis were
chosen because they have a narrative style, which would be good for
capturing the flavor of a language. However, I also think that the Tower of
Babel story would have been a better choice.

/|/|ike