RE: ISO vs Unicode UTF-8 (was RE: UTF-8 signature in web and email)

From: Carl W. Brown (cbrown@xnetinc.com)
Date: Tue May 29 2001 - 20:46:27 EDT

Ken,

I suspect that Oracle is specifically pushing for this standard because of
its unique data base design. In a sense Oracle almost picks it self up by
its own bootstraps. It has always tried to minimize actual code. Therefore
it was a natural choice to implement Unicode with UTF-8 because it is easy
to reuse the multibyte support with minor changes to handle a different
character length algorithm. This has been one of the reasons that Oracle
has been successful. Its tinker toy like design has enabled them to quickly
adapt and add new features. Now however, they should take the time do "do
it right". Its UTF-8 storage creates problems for database designers
because they can not predict field sizes. This is a problem with MBCS code
pages but UTF-8s will make it worse. There will be lots of wasted storage
when characters can vary in size from 1 to 6 bytes.

Most other database systems require specific code to support Unicode. As a
consequence most have implemented using UCS-2. Their migration is obviously
to use UTF-16. UTF-8s buys them nothing but headaches.

Carl