RE: UTF-8 syntax

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Fri Jun 08 2001 - 16:52:51 EDT

>Peter,
>
>There is a standard Unicode sort order, the code point sort order. This
>proposal calls for establishing and alternate code point order by
>establishing a new set of encoding schemes.

Yes, I'm very aware of what it is calling for. (You've missed my voluminous
comments against it?)

My message was in relation to a sub-thread. I had made a particular
argument against UTF-8s having to do with a close reading of the
definitions in the standard; a rebuttal was given that UTF-8s and UTF-16 do
not differ in relation to the argument I made; I acknowledged that and had
conceded *that particular argument* as being invalid, but later was
reconsidering. I am opposed to this proposal, but I don't think it makes
sense at this time to try to make any case against it (or for it) using a
close reading of the definitions.

>Lets hope that UTF-8s also dies.

I do so hope.

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485
E-mail: <peter_constable@sil.org>