Re: RECOMMENDATIONs( Term Asian is not used properly on Computers and NET)

From: Pierpaolo BERNARDI (bernardp@cli.di.unipi.it)
Date: Sat Jun 09 2001 - 19:11:01 EDT

Doug Ewell wrote:

> For the Han characters, I have found in the past that people whose native
> language does not use these characters usually refer to them as "Chinese."

For the record: I have observed that my father, who knows
zilch about han characters (or whatever you want to call
them) when he sees them, he calls them "japanese characters".
We are in Italy.

I think I can explain this difference in views with the fact that
in the USA there are chinese communities, more than japanese.
In Italy until a few years ago there were neither chinese nor
japanese communities, but the japanese culture is more known
(at least superficially) through films, martial arts, because it's
easier to see tourists from Japan rather than from China, etc.

Just a random observation from this side of the ocean.

Pierpaolo