Scripts and languages topic map

From: Lars Marius Garshol (larsga@garshol.priv.no)
Date: Sun Jun 10 2001 - 16:21:54 EDT

I've been reading this mailing list for quite a while now, but have
generally found it difficult to keep track of all the different
languages and scripts being discussed here. Since I work with topic
maps[1] I decided to make one to help me keep track of all this
information. That topic map has been growing steadily over the past
months and has now reached the stage where I think it might be useful
to others.

So, in the hope that others on this list may find it useful, I have
loaded the topic map into a topic map navigator at

As explained on the page, the user interface is less helpful than it
might have been, but I still find this a useful resource for myself.

The topic map by no means complete (or internall consistent), but does
include information about roughly 50 scripts and 100 languages, their
types, derivation, ISO 3166/15924 codes, and geographic distribution.
Some information on character encodings is also included, but it is
especially incomplete.

Feedback on information that is either incorrect or badly modelled is
very much welcome. Information missing is of course equally welcome.

--Lars M.

[1] <URL: http://www.ontopia.net/topicmaps/learn_more.html >