RE: Missing characters for Italian

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Tue Jun 12 2001 - 11:27:43 EDT

>What do you plan to propose for phonetic modifier letters "<sup>a",
>"<sup>o" and "<sup>i":
>
>1) Will you propose three new code points?
>
>2) will you propose to unify them with U+00AA, U00BA and U+2071?

If I were to propose new code points, the only differences might be between
Ll and Lm, and that 00AA and 00BA have a little line in some fonts (but not
the fonts that I'd use for phonetics). I'm not sure that those differences.
But I also haven't had the time this week to carefully read the points you
made, and I've skipped over your exchanges with Antoine. Not because I'm
not interested, but because I've got something else I need to focus on.

>I favor solution 1, on the basis that superscript letters as used in
>linguistics are too much different logically from superscript letters used
>in everyday orthography.

Well, some would like to see all phonetic symbols disunified from Latin. If
it doesn't happen *real soon now*, it probably won't happen, and I actually
think it's too late given the 1999 IPA Handbook, which tells people to use
Latin Unicode characters.

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485
E-mail: <peter_constable@sil.org>