RE: UTF-17

From: Carl W. Brown (cbrown@xnetinc.com)
Date: Fri Jun 22 2001 - 12:42:14 EDT

> In the way of solutions seeking a problem, I would like to
> propose a new UTF: UTF-17.

Do you have any inkling of what people intend to do with UTF-17?

My concern is that I am developing a cross platform Unicode support routine
and supporting UTF-8, UTF-16 and UTF-32 implementing of the same function is
a bit of overhead. Adding new ones does not make sense.

> It is true that UTF-17 takes up twice the space of UTF-32, but
> with 64-bit machines and the continuing rapid progress in
> the lowering of cost/megabyte of storage, this should not
> really be a barrier to the rapid acceptance of UTF-17.

I hope that this is tongue in cheek.

Carl