Re: Playing with Unicode (was: Re: UTF-17)

From: Jianping Yang (Jianping.Yang@oracle.com)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 17:28:03 EDT

"Carl W. Brown" wrote:

> Jianping,
>
> > In fact, Oracle 8.0 development started in 1992 and it was
> > released in 1994,
> > which should be much earlier than NT 5.0.
> >
> Back then I was still using Oracle 7. Thank you for correcting me. What
> made you chose UTF-8 back in 1992?

Oracle 7 supports UTF-8 as Oracle character set AL24UTFFSS which was encoding
for Unicode 1.0 or 1.1. We made a decision then to support Unicode 2.0 in which
we have to use a new character set for it as Hangul codepoint reallocation.
That's UTF8 comes from in Oracle 8.0.

> Is part of the problem that you use UCS-2 for CLOBs and UTF-8 for other data
> giving you two sorting sequences in the same database?

Sorting sequence was one of the considerations, but more important was the
compatibility: that it should be compatible with Oracle 7, major OS, and other
major database vendors implementation for UTF-8 or UCS-2.

Regards,
Jianping.