Re: Book review: Cang Method

From: Edward Cherlin (Edward.Cherlin.SY.67@aya.yale.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 29 2001 - 15:25:52 EDT

At 08:29 AM 6/29/2001, Richard Cook wrote:
>Edward Cherlin wrote:
> >
> > I use Cangjie to access my character database, since it is usually much
> > faster than radical and stroke count, and I usually don't know the Chinese
> > pronunciation of characters I need to look up. The database gives me
> > Radical number, Stroke count, Chinese, Japanese, and Korean pronunciations,
> > and the numbers for the character entries in the Nelson and Mathews
> > dictionaries. I would like to have a professional-quality electronic Han
> > dictionary that included all of these lookup techniques and more.
>
>You should check out http://www.wenlin.com/
>
>A lot of people on this list know and love Wenlin and can recommend it.
>It's the smartest thing out there for Chinese. The current release (demo
>on the website) has very flexible look-up methods, including look-up by
>component and pinyin. The current alpha version has full Ext A and B
>support. Look for a new release soon.

Jack Halpern recommended Wenlin to me several years ago, and it is indeed
an excellent product. My only complaint is that it does not cover Korean
and Japanese. If the new version covers all of the Version 1.0 Han
characters along with full Ext A and B support it will be perfect for many
of my needs.

I will still need to maintain my Access database containing the Unihan and
CJKXREF data, plus my own additions, so that I can work on further
extensions. I am adding the New Cangjie files that I just received,
pronunciations in Zhuyin, Hangul, and Kana, and variant tables for Cangjie
on different platforms. If anyone would like a copy, or has data to share,
I would be delighted.

Edward Cherlin
Generalist
"A knot! Oh, do let me help to undo it."
Alice in Wonderland