Re: New characters query

From: Edward Cherlin (Edward.Cherlin.SY.67@aya.yale.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 14:16:26 EDT

At 04:16 PM 7/2/2001, Michael Everson wrote:
>At 12:33 -0700 2001-07-02, Edward Cherlin wrote:
>>Has anyone proposed the following for inclusion in Unicode? If so, what
>>is their status?
>>
>>Daoist Hexagrams, 64 forms (the trigrams are already included, but with
>>no combining mechanism)
>
>You're welcome to, if you have evidence for these.

OK.

>>The Cangjie "secondary signs", 87 forms for Traditional Chinese, plus 6
>>more to extend the system to Simplified Chinese. All Chinese characters
>>can be decomposed into the 24 main Cangjie signs (which are common
>>characters) plus these abstract shapes. The signs are used extensively,
>>in both illustrations and text, in textbooks on Cangjie in Chinese, and
>>recently, in English (Cang Jie Method, by Edouard Butler. Taiwan, 2001).
>>Some of the Cangjie secondary signs are in Unicode (e.g. a few Korean
>>kwukyel), but not in any systematic manner .
>
>Samples?

The attached UTF-8 text file, viewable with MS Arial Unicode, is a table of
the shapes that I have found in Unicode as characters and sample characters
for each shape, whether including in Unicode or not.

http://www.sungwh.freeserve.co.uk/sapienti/chongkit.htm Tutorial
http://www.cjmember.com/index.htm Book in English
http://www.ied.edu.hk/has/comp/cj/fnotes.htm and links from there.
Secondary signs
http://www.lsa.umich.edu/asian/chinese/courses/sample_sw/chinese_419/fall99/CangJie/summary.htm
and links from there. Secondary signs
Numerous books in Chinese. Almost any Chinese language bookstore anywhere
in the world will have at least one. For example, Cangjie Shurufa
Step-by-Step, ISBN 957-708-551-2, which I bought in Milpitas, CA (just
north of San Jose).

In Unicode:

>--
>Michael Everson

Edward Cherlin
Generalist
"A knot! Oh, do let me help to undo it."
Alice in Wonderland