Re: Shavian

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Fri Jul 06 2001 - 15:25:43 EDT

From: "Kenneth Whistler" <kenw@sybase.com>

> I've been lurking on this discussion, but have to chime in here.

I do appreciate it, for what its worth. The chime was very much in tune.

While fully recognizing the importance of Middle Earth to some people it is
difficult for me to get past the fact that there Middle Earth has no
national representative to WG2? :-) And of course anything that is
difficult for me will likely be difficult for others.

And the same people who push so hard for these scripts may never know why it
is so hard to find experts for other scripts who are willing to help.
Perhaps those experts just did not want their scripts to be given equal
footing with those of the _Elvish Linguistic Fellowship_ or similar
organizations?

It certainly gives me pause.

Obviously this will not be enough to away any of those who are truly
committed to representing the interests of the elves, or the people who want
to write like elves, or whoever it is they are in fact representing.

You can just call me a consciencious objector to having anyone who
subscribes to "Vinyar Tengwar" considering themselves to be among the
Númenoreans (a.k.a. the Dúnedain), who alone of all the races of Men knew
Elvish tongues. :-)

michka
(who loved Tolkien yet nevertheless decided to leave middle earth)