Re: Is there Unicode mail out there?

From: Jungshik Shin (jshin@mailaps.org)
Date: Thu Jul 12 2001 - 00:14:47 EDT

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001 Peter_Constable@sil.org wrote:

> > Now the question is whether it's possible to force Lotus Notes
> >to use UTF-8 as the encoding of the outgoing message EVEN WHEN
> >characters in the message are all covered by existing
> >encoding other than UTF-8 (e.g. Windows-874 for Thai).
>
> Well, I'm going to try one more thing -- Thai test, take 2: กลัปมาอยู่แล้ว

  Hmm, it didn't work either. Even though you're replying to my
message in UTF-8 (and clearly labeled as such in Content-Type header)
with some Ethiopian characters (which were removed in your reply), Lotus
Notes silently (without your consent) fell back to Windows-874 when you
added some Thai characters in your reply. You may have to do some more
digging to find an option/switch buried deep inside to make Lotus Notes
use UTF-8 no matter what (or when you want) (instead of using
the 'smallest??' encoding that covers all characters in your
outgoing messages). It seems like Lotus Notes is too 'smart'......

   Jungshik Shin