RE: Is there Unicode mail out there?

From: Chris Wendt (christw@microsoft.com)
Date: Thu Jul 12 2001 - 16:35:04 EDT

In any case, no matter if new message or reply or forward, you can force
OE to use a specific encoding using the Format.Encoding menu. There is
no option to ALWAYS use a specific encoding in replies and forwards, you
will have to choose manually each time. OE itself has no option to
automatically determine the best outbound encoding (and I agree that
generally the encoding with the smallest repertoire is the best). OE
will only suggest UTF-8 and will not suggest any other charset, if the
chosen encoding does not hold the characters used.

Note: an HTML message to an HTML4 capable recipient will transport any
character regardless of the chosen encoding. That might explain the
different results you are seeing when sending to differently enabled
recipients.

Replying in the charset of the original message is in my view reasonable
behavior: the recipient of your reply has the best chance to read the
message in the encoding the original message was sent. Changing the
encoding decreases the chance the replyee will be able to read your
message.